You are here

Stopped rent check payment -- is this fraud?

I'm trying to find out if my tenant's stopped rent check is fraud. If so, how do I pursue this? Do I file a Criminal Complaint Application? Do I pursue in Housing Court instead? Any ideas?

Share this with your friends

It may be larceny by check.  If you follow that link, you will see that, in order for person to be convicted of larceny by check, the Commonwealth would have to prove that, when the check was written and the goods or services were delivered, the person knew she had insufficient funds to cover the check and also that she intended to place a stop payment order on the check.  It seems more like a civil matter to me, one that should be pursued in small claims court.  Good luck.

Talk to a Criminal Defense Attorney Today
Most offer FREE Consultations
Connect with The Forum
facebook google twitter linkedin