You are here

Separate Support under MA family law?

If I don't want a divorce because of my kids, does Massachusetts law allow legal separation?

Share this with your friends

No, MA law does not recognize "legal separation."  However, if you seek a Separate Support Order or a Complaint for Custody, you can remain married but live apart. A Separate Support Order or a Complaint for Custody will not end the marriage (as a divorce will) but it allows the court to address all the relevant issues, such as custody, visitation, alimony, child support, etc.

Talk to a Divorce Attorney Today
Most offer FREE Consultations
Connect with The Forum
facebook google twitter linkedin