You are here

Outstanding warrent for a Maine residence

I have lived in Maine for more than 25 years and have an outstanding warrent for failure to appear for an uninsured MV (Maine registration) violation in Massachusets in 1985. I never delt with the violation and apparently a warrent was issued at that time. While traveling through Massachusets in 2008 I was stopped on Route 2 in Athol for speeding and subsequently arrested on the 1980's warrent.I live and work on an island off the coast of Maine and infrequently make it out of state. I did not get back to appear for the new court date in 2008. I did call the court clerk to let them know I could not make it and was told to come to court when I could.I have since found out the original criminal violation is now a civil offense but since it was criminal in the 80's the warrent stood for all those years.

A couple of questions:
Do I have to appear in court to resolve this?
Do I need an attorney to represent me?

Share this with your friends

Submitted Thu, 02/10/2011 - 11:50

The general rule is that the Defendant’s personal appearance is required. However, you may be able to resolve the warrant without personally appearing. My office has had success in clearing warrants for out of state defendants. You should contact the clerk’s office of the District Court to see if you can work something out. If not, you may want to retain a lawyer. A conviction for a violation of G.L. c. 90 § 34J will result in a suspension of your driver’s license or right to operate for at least 60 days for a 1st offense. Also, Massachusetts RMV will suspend your license or right to operate in Massachusetts, because of an active warrant and/or court default. This may result in the suspension of or the non-renewal of your Maine Driver’s License.

Visit my website: for more information.

Attorney Brian E. Simoneau

Talk to a Criminal Defense Attorney Today
Most offer FREE Consultations
Connect with The Forum
facebook google twitter linkedin