You are here

Income Assignment after divorce

My wife and I are going to get a divorce in MA (It's not pretty right now). She does not believe I will pay child support and left me a message the other day saying that her attorney says she can get income assignement. What is that?

Share this with your friends

Under Massachusetts law, whenever a court orders one party to pay child support, those payments are made by 'income assignment' through the state Department of Revenue.  In other words, if you are ordered to pay child support of $X dollars per month, that amount will be automatically deducted from your paycheck by your employer, and sent to your wife via the Department.  The only way to avoid income assignment is through an agreement with your wife or if the court orders different arrangements.  Please tell your friends about The Forum.

Talk to a Divorce Attorney Today
Most offer FREE Consultations
Connect with The Forum
facebook google twitter linkedin