You are here

Does MA law recognize Legal Separation?

If I don't want a divorce because of my kids, does Massachusetts law allow legal separation?  (Posted by Sprinter75 on The Forum.)


Editor's Response:


No, their is no statutory recognition of "legal separation" in MA.  However, if you seek a Separate Support Order or a Complaint for Custody, you can remain married but live apart. A Separate Support Order or a Complaint for Custody will not end the marriage (as a divorce will) but it allows the court to address all the relevant issues, such as custody, visitation, alimony, child support, etc.


For more information or to post a question, visit our Massachusetts Divorce Law Discussion Forum.

Share this with your friends

Talk to a Divorce Attorney Today
Most offer FREE Consultations
Connect with The Forum
facebook google twitter linkedin