You are here

Can Witness Sue Guilty Defendant

Can an individual providing State's witness sue the Defendant if found guilty for lost wages?

Share this with your friends

Dear MassCitizen: It is difficult to loose wages when subpoenaed to testify in a criminal matter. Before you consider suing the guilty defendant, speak with the district attorney's office; they have victim/witness funds that may be available for such a situation. If you sue the defendant you will have difficulty proving that your loss was caused by the defendant; your loss was caused by being a citizen/witness. Your alternative, would be to take a "personal" or vacation day, though neither of these seems fair either. The old saying, life is not always fair, sorry there is not a quick solution, but do speak to the d.a., I'm sure you are not the first person to loose wages under these circumstances.

Talk to a Criminal Defense Attorney Today
Most offer FREE Consultations
Connect with The Forum
facebook google twitter linkedin